Friday, February 24, 2012

The Writer's Block Interviews: Paul Caballero


1)  Tell us how you became an artist/illustrator?

I could say I was born as an illustrator. Since I was a kid I liked painting and drawing a lot. In the beginning it was all about imitating my older brother who knew how to draw a five-fingered hand! I enjoyed drawing more than playing football so I decided that would be my way. Afterwards it’s all been about hard-working and drawing, drawing and drawing… 






2)  Do you specialize in any particular medium?

I trained in all styles in order to broaden my offer but the one I enjoy the most and what I do best is illustration for children’s books.


3)  Who or what inspires you?

I suppose I’ve always been a kid and I’ll always be in a way. That’s what helps me dream and imagine my parallel world where the characters I create come into life and that’s crazy… that’s simply happiness! I am also lucky I belong to a quite funny family and have had a life full of fun experiences in which I relay in order to create characters and stories.


 4)  What was your first illustration job?



The cover of a novel called Checkmate (Jaque al Rey) which I created for LOBHER publishing group.


5)  Describe your body of work. Thus far, which project has been the most fulfilling? Why?

I usually work in digital media due to the demand. But what differentiates my work is luminosity, brightness and colour of my final arts.

When it comes to the work I enjoyed the most I must say it’s the collection of stories I’m working on now where various typical children’s pathologies such as bed-wetting or fear of darkness are treated in a pedagogic way. In truly enjoying creating animal characters that bring those stories to life and I’ve been lucky to work with enthusiastic and professional people.








6)  What is your definition of success as an artist?

It’s quite simple: to be trusted to work on different projects, the public to like the project you worked at and that same project to be able to convey the correct message in a correct way. And learn, always learn and grow as an artist with every job.

You should never think you’ve achieved what you were looking for because that would mean you’re dead as an artist: innovation is essential for becoming a good artist.


7)  What do you plan to accomplish in 2012?

Work as much as possible and make myself known in other countries with the aim of working abroad.




Artist Bio

My name is Paul Caballero and I was born in Bilbao in 1981. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Fine arts at the University of the Basque Country (UPV-EHU). Right after graduating I moved to Madrid in order to specialize in animation, design and illustration It’s been two years now and I work as a professional illustrator.


No comments:

Post a Comment