Monday, November 21, 2016

The Writer's Block: Where Are They Now? Catching Up with Joey Pinkney

Today on The Writer's Block, we head to Tennessee to catch up on the latest with Joey Pinkney! Fun facts: Joey is a super-bad book promoter. His interview on The Writer's Block has been the most viewed post on my blog since February 2012. And he has a thing for coffee and chocolate. Let's get caught up!


1) Welcome, back! Please tell us a bit about who you are and where you live and work.

Hello to Raychelle and everyone at The Writer’s Block. I really appreciate being back a second time around. Thank you for having me.

My name is Joey Pinkney. I am an author and book promoter. I live in Murfreesboro, TN, with my wife. For many years, I have maintained a book blog at JoeyPinkney.com. On that book blog, I have the JoeyPinkney.com 5 Minutes, 5 Questions With Author Interview Series. I promote authors and books via by Twitter Book Promotion Service - JoeyTweets.com.

Most recently, I write with publication in mind. I have a few standalone short stories published, and I have a few writing projects coming down the pike.


2) What were you working on when we spoke last? Read Joey's first interview here: (http://raychelle-writes.blogspot.com/2012/02/writers-block-interviews-author.html)

It’s been four and a half years since my debut on The Writer’s Block, and obviously a lot has changed since then. I was looking forward to a year filled with many interviews with authors from many different genres. I was just getting my feet wet with a couple of short stories published in anthologies. I had a few story ideas that I thought were going to make it to the market, but I allowed a lack of discipline and confidence get in the way.


3) It has been a long time indeed! Catch us up on what you have been up to since then.

In 2012, my published writings were contributions to larger works. I had two short stories in different anthologies. I had an essay featured in a third book. In 2016, I have 4 standalone short stories and a short twitter guide published. Those titles are “Cardinal Rule,” “Children in the City of the Fallen Towers,” “To Catch a Book Cover Model,” “Swiggers,” and “8 Simple Twitter Tips for Authors.”


I’ve decided to focus on publishing shorter works of literature for more reasons than we have space and time for. One reason would be because there is a group of readers who are looking to begin and finish a story within an hour or so and still get a proper beginning, middle and end. I personally like the challenge of the short story.


4) Glad to see that you have found your niche! What is next for you, Joey?

Next up for me is a novelette that fleshes out a fictitious neighborhood that has formed over the course of writing two previously published short stories. The story is entitled “The Legend of Tanisha Biggers,” and it will be published through SolaPress.com. It is the story of a young woman wrongfully accused of an old man’s death while struggling to move up and out of the neighborhood that she calls home.  


5) How did The Writer's Block help you promote yourself? What advice would you offer to aspiring author/illustrators?

The Writer’s Block help me gain exposure to a new group of people. It’s always good to get a diverse group of viewers, and The Writer’s Block does just that.

As a writer/illustrator, you are the “first reader/viewer” of your work. Be true to yourself. Be willing to take chances with your art.

Well said, Joey. We need diverse voices in literature and I am glad that your hat is in the ring. My best to you as always!



Joey Pinkney is a book promoter (http://joeytweets.com), blogger (http://joeypinkney.com), author (http://joeyspen.com) and chocolate enthusiast. He writes short stories that linger with the reader long after “the end.” To connect via social media, please see http://about.me/joeypinkney.

Keep your pen to the paper! Remember, inspiration is everywhere...

**Ready to give your writing career a jumpstart? Promote your project on The Writer's Block!


No comments:

Post a Comment