2. Use descriptive language to engage your child - what does it look like? sound like? smell like? feel like? taste like?
3. Draw parallels that your child can understand. For example, if the character in your story is excited, how excited is she? Maybe she's excited as if she's going to Disneyland tomorrow.
4. Make it fun - use a storyteller's voice to embody the characters and give them unique voices to entertain your child.
5. Keep it short - 15 minutes or less is perfect.
6. Leave them with something positive or hopeful, a feeling of well-being before they go to sleep.
About Sheri Fink
Sheri Fink is the #1 best-selling, award-winning children’s author of The Little Rose and The Little Gnome, the creator of “The Whimsical World of Sheri Fink” children’s brand, and an international speaker. Sheri writes books that inspire and delight children while planting seeds of self-esteem.
Sheri’s next book, Exploring the Garden with the Little Rose, debuts on October 2, 2012 and takes 2-5 year olds on an educational adventure through the garden. Along the way, kids will have fun and learn the names of the plants and animals in the garden. Exploring the Garden with the Little Rose retails for $14.95 and is available on Amazon.com at: http://tinyurl.com/exploringthegarden.
Discover more about The Whimsical World of Sheri Fink at http://www.WhimsicalWorldofSheriFink.com.